If you want to disable Windows Defender , the simplest way is to install another antivirus of your preference, since when you recognize that the user has installed a third-party solution it is automatically disabled.
How to disable Windows Defender completely step by step
However, it is not possible to remove Windows Defender permanently, nor is it possible to completely uninstall your engine, at least not in a simple way.
There may be multiple reasons or scenarios in which you need to completely get rid of Windows Defender, but you should bear in mind that you will be exposing yourself to several security risks if you do so without installing any alternative program. If you have decided what you need, we will explain how to disable Windows Defender in any version of Windows 10 .
It is possible to disable Windows Defender through the local group policies , unless you use Windows 10 Home, for this you will have to resort to the Registry, as we will explain later. If you use Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise or Education, you can follow these steps:
- Open the start menu by pressing window key, type ” edit group policy ” and press Enter. Or, press the Windows + R key and in the drawer type: gpedit.msc
- In the policy editor window navigate to the following path: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender Antivirus
- To the right of the window select the option Disable Windows Defender Antivirus and double click on it
- In the pop-up window check the ” Enabled ” box , press Apply and then OK
- Restart your computer to apply the changes.
Disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 Home
To completely disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 Home we will have to resort to the Windows Registry, unfortunately the process is a little more complicated and risky, so we recommend you to create a subtraction point before starting in case something goes wrong, for that you can get back to the point before you hurt something.
- Press the Windows + R key and in the box to execute a command type: regedit
- From the Registry Editor navigate to the following path: HKEY LOCALMACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows Defender
- Right click on the Windows Defender folder and select New > DWORD Value (32-bit)
- Right click on the new value, change its value name to DisableAntiSpywareand press Enter.
- Right click on DisableAntiSpyware and select Modify . Change the information number from 0 to 1 and press OK.
- Restart your computer.
You can reverse the changes by following the same steps, you will only have to erase the DiawareAntiSpyware DWORD value that you created.