How many times have you seen a child using a smartphone or a tablet and have you thought: “You have to see, if you know how it works better than me”? We even find it funny that our young children can play a mobile application or open YouTube and find a video of their favorite drawings.
Children on the Internet: the importance of parental control
These situations are increasingly common in our society and it is not surprising taking into account the technological revolution that we are living in our days. The proliferation and progressive simplicity of all these devices and the almost unlimited accessibility to the Internet is making it possible for children to have more and more contact with a multitude of electronic devices and, in many cases, it is they who are in charge of teaching their parentshow They must use them .
But we must not forget that, although a priori this whole world can provide useful tools at the time of studying or training, for example, it can also entail dangers . And is that the Internet is a space where content of all kinds, many of them unsuitable for minors: violence, pornography, radicalism … Not to mention problems such as cyberbullying or sexting , growing concerns given the possibility of contacting all types of people in the network.
Therefore, it is convenient that parents become aware of the importance of supervising and directing the use made by their children of new technologies and help them, especially at an early age, to discern between what they should or should not do on the Internet.
Fortunately, the same network offers parents a multitude of platforms and tools for parental control that can be of use in these situations.
What functionalities do the parental control systems incorporate?
Most parental control tools or applications work in a similar way and can include features such as the following:
- Supervision and web control: this is surely the most important functionality of the parental control systems and allows parents to consult the most visited websites for their children and configure the so-called “black list”, a list of websites to which they want to limit access.
- Activity reports: consists of the possibility of establishing the periodic sending of reports on the activity and behavior of minors during the use of the device.
- Blocking applications or programs: with this option parents can determine that children do not have access to certain programs or applications (social networks, messaging applications …). For this, they can establish that it is necessary to enter a password to execute it.
- Establishment of a “safe zone”: this functionality allows establishing a security zone to which the minor can access, while protecting other parts of the device that may contain, for example, information to which the child should not have access.
- Blocking calls: most tools allow that during the use that the child makes of the device, blocking the possibility of issuing or receiving calls from certain telephone numbers. This feature is very useful if you want, for example, to restrict international calls or unknown numbers.
- Denial of activities that suppose an economic outlay: it allows to establish the prohibition to download applications of payment or to realize any type of purchase by Internet. In addition, with this option you can also limit that children send messages or make phone calls.
- Time of use: this functionality allows to control and limit the time during which the child uses the device. Many tools allow you to schedule the hours for each day of the week and set, for example, that if the device is turned on when the time limit is reached, the session ends automatically.
- Geolocation: this feature allows knowing the location of the child if he leaves the house with the device.
- Remote control from the mobile or computer: finally, most parental control tools include this functionality, through which we can control from our mobile phone or computer all the variables that we have been discussing.
If you are interested in starting to familiarize yourself with any of them, you can consult the listthat the Internet Security Office (OSI) has created, a space dependent on the Ministry of Energy, Tourism and Digital Agenda that provides information and support to prevent and resolve the possible security problems that may exist when surfing the Internet.
In addition, we must not forget that there are professionals who can advise us in the use of this type of platform. This is the case of MGS Seguros Home insurance , which includes coverage of remote domestic computer assistance .
If you have contracted this coverage you can have a group of professionals who will guide you in the prevention of minors on the Internet: they will inform you of the existing risks, together with recommended action guidelines; they will assist you in the selection, installation and use of the computer support tools for parental control available in the market and they will be able to inform you about the organizations and aid associations that exist in the face of a child’s incident on the Internet.