Few users know the product key of their Windows 10. However, in certain circumstances, the latter is essential. In this article, we will tell you how to find product key of your windows 10.
What is a product key?
A product key is a code that allows software to be activated by its owner. This unique code, a mixture of numbers and letters, is proof that you hold a license for official use.
How To Find Product Key of your Windows 10?
- If you bought a PC or tablet running Windows 10, you should find a sticker or certificate of authenticity on your product, in its box, or in the documentation that was provided with.
- If you bought Windows 10 in the shop, the key should be on the packaging.
- If you bought it on the internet, you should have received it by email.
- Extract the product key from your Windows 10 (and other products)
- If you are unable to get your product key back, you can use software called ProduKey.
Free, it can display the product key of some programs installed on your computer, like Windows 10.
- ProduKey is not malware but if you have an antivirus (and if you do not have one, you should ) it can be reported as such. Ignore the alert and launch the software.
- Click “Next” to start the installation, then “Next” to choose its location.
- ProdutKey automatically displays software product keys!
Once you have extracted the product key from your Windows 10, write it down and store it carefully.
Do I need the product key to reinstall Windows 10?
If your computer was sold with Windows preinstalled, you do not have to enter the product key to reinstall Windows 10.
Microsoft keeps the “digital signature” of your computer, which means that when you reinstall your operating system, you can ignore the code request and still start the installation.
No message tells you what is frustrating enough.
Windows 10 should remain enabled until you make a major change to your computer. For example, changing from a hard disk to an SSD will not be a problem, but change the motherboard or processor, yes. In this case, if your Windows 10 is disabled, you will need to contact customer service.
To verify that Windows 10 is on, right click on the startup logo and choose Systèm e in the menu that appears.
There, under Windows Activation, you should see “Windows is enabled”.
If you go to the Start menu → Settings → Update and security, you will find the version of Windows and its status, and any updates to make.