Remove a virus on a PC: You did not have antivirus installed on your PC and malicious software entered your system? Or your antivirus did not detect it? You can delete it yourself and find a computer in good working order.
If you notice these 3 signs, then your PC is infected with a virus:
- Windows turns abnormally slow
- Many pop-up messages keep popping up
- Unknown programs launch automatically without your consent
Note that if you still have access to Windows and the internet, then this tutorial may apply to you.
How to remove a virus on a PC?
If you have an antivirus, you just need to run an analysis. If it can not detect viruses, follow these 3 steps carefully and restart your computer only after performing them.
You will have to use the 3 programs recommended below.
1. To detect malicious processes and block access to the operating system, use rkill .
2. Next, install the latest version of Malwarebytes and launch it. It will get rid of malware and Trojans. Go to Settings , then to the Protection tab and enable the Search for Rootkits option . Return back to the Dashboard and click Analyze Now .
3. Finally, download the latest version of Malwarebytes ADWclearner , run it and click Scan Now . ADWcleaner will take care of removing unwanted ads ( adware ).
Remove a virus without access to Windows
If you are unable to access Windows and run an antivirus scan, then you will need to create a recovery tool, which will be used to reset your PC.
You will need a second computer and a recovery disc (blank CD, DVD or USB). Then download the Norton Recovery Tool for free .
1. If you are using a blank CD or DVD , insert it into the dedicated drive. Go to the Norton program, right-click on NBRT.iso and click Burn Disk Image . In the Windows Disk Image Writer , choose your Writer , and then click Burn .
2. If you are using a blank USB flash drive then install the Rufus program .
Insert your key and under Format Options , next to Create Startup Disk and choose ISO Image from the drop-down menu.
Click the disk icon on the right and select NBRT.iso . Click Start , then OK , your key will be formatted and the iso file will be copied to it.
Now insert your recovery disc into the infected computer. You will have to turn it on to enter the BIOS.
To do so, from the beginning, press the F2 key (depending on your PC, it may be another key, refer to the manual of your computer).
Navigate through the boot options with the arrow keys on your keyboard and identify your recovery disk as the first drive.
Save your changes and exit the BIOS. Your PC now launches from the specified drive.
If a boot menu appears on the Welcome page in NBRT , then click Start , then follow the on-screen instructions and finalize with Start Scan .
Once the process is complete, all the detected threats will be presented to you, as well as remedial actions for each of them.
We advise you to analyze them meticulously because any deleted file can not be restored.
Then click Correct and confirm your actions with OK . All that remains is to select Restart .
How to protect your computer from viruses?
The best way to protect your PC from any malware is to install an antivirus and keep it up to date.
Be aware that Windows 10 includes a default firewall, Windows Defender. However, we recommend that you increase the security of your computer with security software .
To keep it safe, here are two other tips you can apply daily:
Do not blindly open e-mail attachments, make sure they always come from reliable sources.
When browsing the web, check the URL carefully because phishing attacks use fake URL bars.