If you gave yourself an Amazon Fire TV Stick for Christmas or your birthday, you may have encountered some small malfunction.
Amazon Fire TV Stick Problems: How to Fix them
Mind you, nothing unrecoverable, also because Amazon has managed to concentrate excellent features in a rather simple and easy to use device. We therefore enter into the merits of the resolutive tactics that can be put into practice following any malfunctions!
First rule of computing: restart!
Many problems with Fire TV can be solved simply by restarting the device or the home modem / router. It may seem trivial but in fact it is really the basic rule to be applied whenever there is a clash with small electronic-computer malfunctions.
How to restart Amazon Fire TV Stick Basic Edition
Simply disconnect the power cable from the side of the device or directly from the power outlet, wait a few seconds and then reinsert it.
If, on the other hand, you do not have easy access to the Amazon Fire TV Stick, you can also take advantage of the small remote control supplied with the device. In this case you can adopt two different methods:
- Press and hold the center “Select” and “Play / Pause” buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds.
- Access the Fire Stick menu select Settings> Device> Restart.
How to restart the router / modem
To restart the modem / router you will have to:
- Disconnect the device from its power supply and wait 30 seconds
- If you use both a router and a modem, reconnect the modem power first and then the router power
- Wait for the two devices to restart before completing an attempt to reconnect the Amazon Fire TV Stick to the local network.
How to solve problems connecting to Wi-Fi networks
In some cases, the Fire TV Stick may not be able to connect to your home Wi-Fi network, or it may lose the connection. The reasons can be the most varied, however many of these can be solved simply.
Check the information about the Wi-Fi network
The first thing to do is undoubtedly check all the information related to the network to which you would like to connect the device . It is therefore essential to know the exact network password; in this regard it is worth remembering that:
- The Wi-Fi network password is not necessarily the same as the Amazon Account connected to the Fire TV Stick Basic Edition.
- In passwords, the distinction between upper and lower case is active so check for typing errors. Also consider carefully the insertion of any numbers and special characters.
Beyond Wi-Fi network password issues, it is important to make sure that the router and network specifications meet the requirements for the Fire TV Stick :
- Open and encrypted networks WEP, WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK
- Hidden networks
Router / modem specifications
- 2.4Ghz router B, G and N
- 5 Ghz A and N router
If you find it useful, you can also access the network through the Fire TV menu by following this sequence: Settings> Network> Log in with the WPS button or Log in with the WPS PIN . If, however, you continue to experience problems, we recommend that you contact your network administrator or router / modem support.
Check your network connection
Although Fire TV Stick Basic Edition is equipped with a network status check tool that helps diagnose problems, it may be useful to do some “manual” checks. If the Fire TV Stick is unable to connect to streaming services, an error message will appear on the screen with an option asking you to check the network status.
Selecting this option will open the network settings and clicking the “Play / Pause” button (central round button) will launch the network status check tool.
Alternatively, to access the control tool, follow this sequence from the Fire TV menu: Settings> Network .
Once the check has started, it will return various possible information related to the connection status, associated with short suggestions to solve them. Between these:
- No connection / Not connected to the internet;
- Low or poor quality Wi-Fi signal;
- Captive Portal detected (the public access network to which Fire TV is connected requires users to view a login or welcome page before granting access.
Check the configuration and location of the Amazon Fire TV Stick
It may seem trivial but it is possible that by moving (as far as possible) Fire TV or your home modem / router from physical objects that could “hinder” the Wi-Fi signal you will notice an improvement in performance.
For the same reason, it is advisable to use the HDMI extension supplied with the Fire TV Stick to improve the performance of the Wi-FI connection.