Cut Videos with VLC: VLC Media Player software goes far beyond competing multimedia programs, providing many features in addition to reading files and discs. It offers the possibility to extract a piece of a video or music, in a few clicks and retaining the original quality.
Many users of Windows have abandoned Windows Media Player, the solution inserted by Microsoft in its operating system , for the benefit of VLC. Originally, the interest was mostly to dispense with the installation of extra codecs , useless with the open source media player.
But VLC also incorporates various complementary features, such as media cutting, which we cover in this guide.
How to Cut Videos with VLC?
- To extract a part of an audio or video file, it is necessary to activate the display of new buttons. To do this, open VLC Media Player, and go to the “View” menu, then click on “Advanced Controls”.
- New buttons appear in the status bar at the bottom of the software . In order, we find: record, take a screenshot, loop between points A and B continuously, and advance frame by frame.
- You can then open the file (audio or video) to cut, by opening the “Media” menu, then clicking on “Open a file”. The procedure is the same for cutting films and music. As part of the tutorial , we made the choice to present the cut of a video. You can follow the steps below in the same way to split an MP3 file , for example.
- In the window that appears, select the media and confirm with a double-click, with the “Open” button, or with the Enter key on your keyboard.
- Playback of the file starts immediately. You can set the start of the recording by first clicking on the red “Save” button. You must then play the file until you stop recording by clicking a second time on the “Save” button.
- The controls Play / Pause / Image can be used at any time to help specify the start and end extraction.
- No confirmation window appears. By default, the extracted file is automatically saved in the “Videos” directory of your Windows session.
- If you want to change the extract destination folder, use the “Tools” menu of the software, and select “Preferences”.
- Go to the “Input / Codecs” tab, where you will find a ” Capture folder” field among the parameters . Enter the destination directory of your choice or click on the “Browse” button to define it using the explorer. End with “Save” to confirm your preference.
When you perform extraction of a portion of an MP3 music file, it retains the quality of the original, its format, and its transmission speed .
In some video formats , the resulting capture may have a different file extension than the original, but the resolution remains the same.