Yes, it is safe and secure to use a VPN while accessing online banking. Whenever you’re traveling, using public WiFi at a coffee shop or restaurant, you should use a VPN to keep your information secure from the prying eyes of hackers.
It is highly non-recommended to access online banking on public WiFi. But in case you have to, you must use a VPN. With a VPN for online banking, you ensure that your account information is kept private and safe.
VPNs for safer Online Banking for Canadians
You can take care of many of your banking tasks without ever entering the bank. You can visit the bank’s website to check balances, make transfers, and even deposit cheques and bills. But beware, as anything you can do online, cyber-criminals or identity thieves might be on the look.
They do not require heavy guns to rob you, but a few simple clicks can leave you bankrupt within minutes, make you a victim of credit card fraud, or even steal your identity.
The good news is that a quality VPN can protect your online banking from hackers, malware, and even public WiFi.By using a Virtual Private Network, nobody can read your encrypted online traffic.
Logging in using a VPN masks your IP address, which may cause the website to require an extra layer of authentication.
For reliable and secure VPN protection in Canada, we recommend VPNs like ExpressVPN, NordVPN, and SurfShark VPN as they are ad-free, with more power and flexibility. To see more VPNs to ensure your security check out Best VPNs for Canada – Secure and Affordable!
Quick Guide: How to use a VPN for safer Online Banking in 2021
- Download a VPN: Download a reliable, fast, and secure VPN as it protects your information with encryption layers and lets you access your account from anywhere.
- Connect to a server: Select a server in the country where your bank is located to bypass geo-restrictions.
- Start banking online: Once you’re done, you can start banking online without worrying about your passwords or account information.
Best VPNs in Canada for Online Banking in 2021
ExpressVPN – Fast & Secure
ExpressVPN is the absolute best of the bunch, with clean, clear apps and packed with more privacy features. Express VPN carries 3,000+ servers in 94 countries so that you can bank safely from anywhere. Its Top-tier 256-bit encryption protects your private data on banking apps and sites.
NordVPN – Our Best Choice
With over 400 servers only in Canada, NordVPN offers a wealth of market-leading security features that make it a good option for just about anybody.
It offers top-notch security, tons of features and brings everything together in a rather affordable package. NordVPN competes for reliability and an unbeatable price.
Surfshark – Great value and top usability
A speed leader, packed with features. Surfshark imposes no data caps and allows unlimited server switching and torrenting. Provides quick and easy access to servers and offers unlimited simultaneous connections. It is also the most affordable VPN, and you won’t definitely be making any sacrifices as the apps are easy to use.
Tips for Safe Online Banking in 2021
With online banking, you’re providing personal information, bank account details, secure passwords, and in some cases, social security information. You also face numerous risks if you do your banking online. But a quality VPN protects you from all the risks and dangers. Using a top-tier banking VPN will protect you against:
- Hackers. Cybercriminals often use scams and spyware to access your credentials. Some might even create fake banking sites to trick you into sending them your account information.
- Bypass Geo-restrictions. Whenever your bank detects an attempted login from an unknown IP address, it may issue a fraud alert and freeze your account access.
- Protect mobile banking apps. Some applications can be hacked through encryption malware or vulnerabilities.
- Secure your banking on public WiFi. Cybercriminals can hack into public WiFi networks to access your banking information. They can also trick you into installing spyware on your device to hack your accounts.
3 Things you shouldn’t do when using a VPN for online banking
1. Whenever you use a VPN for online banking and you keep switching your server location, it’s almost a surety that your bank will notice it. In order to stay off the grid, choose a server location and stick with it. That way, your bank won’t feel anything fishy going on, and it won’t seem like you’re unexpectedly traveling the world.
2. It is most advisable to connect to a server in the same country as yours when accessing online banking. If your bank blocks one of your transaction activities because they think it’s a fraud, you can always let them know it’s you.
3. Even though a VPN will help protect your privacy reasonably, a VPN cannot fully protect you from dangerous viruses or guarantee that you won’t be hacked. With online banking, it is necessary to take additional precautions such as using a secure password and practice good internet safety tricks. If your banking password is the same as your social media platforms, your banking information might be at greater risk if your social media account gets hacked.