How to make a podcast on Spotify is not difficult, and this time, we will explain how to do it in a complete and easy to understand way.
How to Make a Podcast on Spotify
What is Spotify?
Spotify is a fairly large platform for streaming music, but in 2019 they made an influential platform update to attract podcasters and listeners. Edison Research reports that 43% of total monthly podcast listeners listen to it on Spotify, so making a podcast on Spotify is very important.
How to make a podcast on Spotify is actually fairly simple, because basically we only need to enter the URL of the RSS feed containing podcast files to Spotify, but of course for those who are still unfamiliar with technical matters such as renting a domain, web hosting, and creating a URL RSS Feeds, which can be a little confusing.
What is RSS?
RSS stands for “RDF Site Summary”, “Rich Site Summary”, or “Really Simple Syndication”. In essence, RSS refers to a simple text file containing important and updated information, such as news, articles, podcasts, and so on, which allows users and applications to access website updates in a standard, computer-readable format (generally using the XML format).
What must be prepared to make a Podcast on Spotify?
There are a few things you need to prepare before you can register your podcast on Spotify. As previously mentioned, several things that need to be prepared are as follows:
- Domain or Subdomain (both are optional),
- Web Hosting,
- RSS Feed URL
The following is an explanation of each of these things.
Domain or Subdomain
Domain or Subdomain is actually optional, and may not need to be used, depending on whether you want to make your own website with your own domain name, use a subdomain, or use a service provider. Podcast dedicated hosting.
If you want to use your own website (with a domain name or subdomain), then you can use any web hosting service that suits you.
Alternatively, you can rent a dedicated Podcast hosting service from various providers/providers that do provide this service.
This particular podcast hosting generally offers higher prices, or more limited features when compared to renting your own web hosting, but podcast-only hosting already has features that are specific to podcasts such as viewing statistics, easy registration to podcast platforms such as Spotify, monetization, and so on.
RSS Feed URL
Then, what is the RSS Feed URL? The URL is what we usually know as a link, which refers to an RSS file in XML format (in general), which contains podcast data such as title, duration, descriptions, and so on, which are called metadata.
Later the metadata from your podcast will be used by podcast applications/platforms such as Spotify to be pulled and displayed on their platform/application.
Podcast Requirements on Spotify
In order for your podcast to be broadcast on Spotify, all things related to the Podcast must meet Spotify’s requirements, which include the following:
- MP3s must be in ISO / IEC 11172-3 MPEG-1 Part 3 (MP3) audio with a bitrate between 96 and 320 kbps.
- Cover image must be in square ratio (1: 1) and in PNG, JPEG, or TIFF format with the highest possible resolution,
- The RSS feed must have a title, cover art image and relevant details for at least 1 episode,
- Episode titles and other consumer-related columns must not exceed 20 characters to avoid truncating the title to ‘…’ on the Spotify platform,
- Special characters must be given the HTML code in the podcast title and description. For example, “News & Politics” should be written as “News & amp; Politics ”without quotes (Note: Spotify doesn’t allow other HTML tags such as <bold>. This tag will be removed from the podcast description before publishing.)
- The duration per episode cannot be more than 200 MB. (200MB is about 83 minutes at 320Kbps or more than 200 minutes at 128Kbps.)
How to make a Podcast on Spotify
If you use public web hosting (not from a dedicated Podcast hosting provider), in order to enter your podcasts on Spotify, the steps that can be done are as follows:
- Create a Spotify account,
- Log in via the Spotify podcaster dedicated portal,
- Agree to Spotify’s terms and conditions,
- Make sure the XML format of the RSS, audio files, cover images, and descriptions meet Spotify’s requirements,
- Enter the URL address of the RSS Feed in the field on Spotify,
- Later Spotify will send a verification email to the email address registered to your Spotify account.
- Click on the verification link in the email,
- Fill in the data related to your podcast on Spotify then save it,
So, that is the information about how to make a podcast on Spotify that you can try to do so that your podcast can be heard by more people who are users of the application.