How to Unzip a RAR or ZIP file: The .rar and .zip files are files that have undergone a compression process. These processes are given by algorithms that perform an encryption treatment of the bytes that make up a file.
By applying encryption, the need for full use of the file is lost, thereby generating an alternative file, equivalent to the original, but lighter.
How to Unzip a RAR or ZIP file
To reverse this procedure, and obtain the initial file again, the software is required that interprets the encryption and reconstructs the file in question from it.
In this article, we will talk about two of the most popular programs, which are free and easy to use, for unzipping rar or zip files.
For this task, we will use a fairly famous software, WinRAR. Enter the official WinRAR website and press the “Download” button to get a copy of the program if you don’t have it yet.
Installation is quite simple and does not involve any complications. With regard to paying for the WinRAR license, it has a trial period of 40 days, however, you can continue using it for free and indefinitely, since this requirement is only for companies.
With the program installed, a .rar file can be decompressed with WinRAR in two ways.
With WinRAR it is possible to unzip files easily through right-click, directly from Windows Explorer.
- Go to the folder that contains the file, and right-click on it. When the file options are displayed, notice the ones with the WinRAR symbol.
- Click on one of the menu options corresponding to WinRAR.
- Extract in “File_name \”: With this last option, a folder will be created with the name of the file to be decompressed in the same path that contains the .rar file, to direct all the content there.
- Extract here: This makes the files that make up the .rar file appear in that same folder.
- Extract files: By clicking on this option, a window will appear that will allow you to choose the path where the files contained in the .rar extension will be deposited. By default, the program will choose to unzip the archive in the same folder that contains the .rar file.
- Once the option is selected, the file will be unzipped instantly. In the event that the compressed file has a password, it will be required at the time.
The difference between Extract here and Extract in “File_name \” is that in the first option , if the .rar file contains several files, they will all appear scattered in no order, which sometimes represents a problem. On the other hand, with the second option, an exclusive folder will be created that will contain all the .rar files.
While in the archive folder, double-click on it, or right-click and choose the option to open with WinRAR. Next, a window corresponding to the WinRAR program will be displayed.
There you must click on Extract in, and a window will appear the same as the one that appears in the Extract files … option, from the first method discussed in this article.
You can also unzip only the files that interest you from those included in the .rar file; this simply by clicking on the file of interest and then clicking Extract in.
7-Zip is a program that will allow you to decompress all types of compressed files, be it .rar, .zip, or other extensions. Best of all, it is completely free and easy to install.
To get a copy of the software, go to the 7-Zip official page and download the latest version corresponding to the architecture of your system (x64 or x86 for 32 bits).
Installing this software is fairly straightforward, and shouldn’t be a problem. The process is limited to clicking the Install button. Then it will show how to use the program 7-Zip para decompress a .zip, .rar or others.
- Go to the folder that contains the .zip file, and double click on it.
- A window corresponding to 7-Zip will then appear. Select the files you need to decompress and click Extraer. Then another window will appear, this time asking you where you want to save the file.
- By default, 7-Zip will propose to save it in the directory where the .zip file is located, if you prefer another path, click on the ellipsis button ( … ) and you will be able to use the file manager to choose the path of destiny.
- To conclude, just click on OK, and you will end the process of unzipping a .zip file.
File manager (Windows)
The Windows file manager can work with .zip files, although in some cases third-party software will be required for this.
Meanwhile, for the most everyday cases in which small files are handled, the first option will be enough. The steps to follow will be detailed below:
- Go to the file you want to unzip and double-click on it. This will allow you to view the contents of the file. If your intention is to extract all of them, click on the Extract all option.
- This procedure can also be done by right-clicking on the file and choosing the Extract All option.
- A window will then appear, where you must indicate the path of the file. By default, the content of the .zip file will go to the same folder that contains it. To direct them to another route, click on Browse. To finish, click Extract.
- If you are only interested in extracting certain files from the archive, select them and then click on one of the folders displayed at the top of the window.
- In the image, as an example, one of the files was taken and sent to the Documents folder. As you can see, it was a successful process.
Without using programs
Another way to extract compressed files, this time without having to install any program, is to do it with the online platforms that have been listed below. The characteristic of each one of them is that they are easy to use.
- Archive Extractor: This is a modern platform, and intuitive to use. With it you will be able to decompress files with various extensions, not just .rar or .zip. Click here to go to their official page.
- ezyZip: Its friendly interface makes it quite a popular tool, this link will take you to its main site. Note that it only works with .zip files.
- Unrar Online: With a colorful and intuitive design, although it is only limited to dealing with .rar files, this platform guarantees optimal and fast performance, regardless of whether the files are on the order of gigabytes. By clicking here, you will go to Unrar Online.