To begin with, we should understand what software architecture is and what its tasks are. Then, we’ll look at why you need software architecture consulting.
Why Do You Need Software Architecture Consulting?
Architecture is the structure of a program or computing system that defines its operation at the highest conceptual level, including hardware and software components, the externally visible properties of these components, the relationships between them, and the documentation of the system.
Architecture documentation simplifies the process of interaction between project participants, allows you to capture the decisions made in the early stages of designing the high-level design of the system, and allows you to reuse elements of this design and patterns in other projects.
To develop the system architecture, specialists with the following roles are involved: system architect (designs the system as a whole, as well as its individual components), database architect (engaged in the design of the database and its structure), system analyst (participates in the design, prepares documentation), administrators (participates in the design of the system hardware. Due to this, most companies order consulting services on enterprise architecture.
System architects have a lot of responsibility.
If the developed architecture does not fulfill the goals set by the customer, then this may, for example, increase the project completion time (due to the fact that it will be necessary to make improvements to correct the shortcomings of the architecture), and therefore reduce the development profit.
Tasks of software architecture
At the level of development of the application architecture, the following main tasks that are important for the customer should be solved.
– Improving and increasing the productivity of processes. Typical customer expectations from the implementation of the application: reduction of time spent on performing various actions; acceleration of various operations; process automation; various improvements resulting from scalability – the ability of a system, network or process to cope with an increase in workload (increase its performance) when adding resources, usually hardware.
– Cost reduction. One of the goals of development may be to reduce the costs required when performing any actions. This can be done both by increasing the productivity of processes, and by accelerating the execution of operations.
– Improvement of operations. Operational activities are usually associated with the performance of routine standard operations (for example, the work of a cashier in a store, the receipt of utility bills, etc.). By automating (simplifying, speeding up) such operational activities, you can reduce costs or increase system performance.
– Improving management efficiency. An architectural decision may be aimed at improving the efficiency of management. For example, automation of workflow in an enterprise (transition from paper documents to electronic ones, with tracking of the change history, notifications, etc.).
– Risk reduction. Any activity is associated with certain risks. One of the goals of developing an application may be to reduce them. For example, the double signature rule for financial transactions (when a financial transaction created by one employee must be verified by another employee and put his signature.
– Improving the efficiency of the IT organization. This result is achieved by automating various processes.
Software architecture consulting
Designing the architecture of software requires high skill and careful planning, taking into account possible expansion.
If the company’s IT infrastructure develops chaotically, as problems arise, then at some stage it will be necessary to completely modernize the entire system.
At the same time, existing equipment may remain unclaimed. It is much more profitable to initially create an architecture that is fault tolerant and scalable.
In most cases, companies whose main activity is not related to software architecture, it is unprofitable to keep qualified employees in the state to create the right architecture.
It is easier to turn to third-party organizations by ordering a turnkey solution from professionals, then only servicing the network and equipment. In some cases, maintenance is also more profitable to outsource.
Reasons to contact “Vitech”
The company’s portfolio includes hundreds of projects for the consulting on software architecture of various sizes. Employees of the company constantly solve problems related to this type of activity, as well as improve their skills with equipment manufacturers and software developers.
The consultation includes the following steps:
- Project composition assessment
- Architecture debt evaluation
- Technical debt evaluation
- QA/Testing debt evaluation
- Security debt evaluation