Despite the fact that online dating has become quite common these days, many still don’t want friends and family to see that they use such services. And there are even those who hide their use from their partners. It is not for us to judge them, but it’s still worth discussing the question of protection from prying eyes.
Can You Hide From Other Users on Dating Sites?
Fortunately, more and more developers are realizing that privacy is one of the most important issues for users. As a result, they’re introducing new features and tools to prevent unwanted encounters.
Let’s see how that works, as well as offer some tips on how to protect yourself from certain users. We hope you’ll find it interesting and useful.
Facebook will do everything for you
Many of you probably know that Mark Zuckerberg’s social network has its own dating service similar to Tinder called Facebook Dating. The platform is still hard to call perfect, but it is worth giving credit to the developers — they took care of user privacy.
Your profile will be hidden by default from people on your Facebook friends list who also use the branded dating app. But you won’t be able to see them either, which makes sense.
If you wish, you can turn off this protection in settings — your friends will then be able to see you. It’s up to you to make that choice.
Facebook Dating also has an interesting Secret Crush feature. You can create a list of nine friends that you like. And if one of them adds you to their list of likes, then you can see each other’s profiles. The feature is quite interesting, but you need to use it carefully.
Incidentally, you can delete your Facebook Dating profile at any time if you want, and your social network account will remain active, with no interruptions.
Tinder cares about your confidentiality too
Tinder is one of the most popular dating sites in the world. and it’s based on location. Not surprisingly, there has always been plenty of static around unwanted encounters.
Users found the accounts of their friends, relatives, work colleagues, and sometimes even their partners. This often led to extremely unpleasant consequences. In the summer of 2021, the situation finally improved.
In June, the developers of Tinder announced the good news — from now on, you can block any user in the application if you have their phone number. Or go even further and block all people from your phone contacts list at once.
The developers promise not to store user contacts, not to use them for their own purposes and not transfer them to third parties. So far, no serious data leaks have been observed behind the service, so we’ll believe them. In any case, the function is necessary and useful, and of course you can turn it off at any time.
What to do if your dating service doesn’t offer these features
Tinder and Facebook Dating are likely to be followed by many of the other dating services soon. But until that happens, follow these guidelines:
- If you know that unwanted people are also on the same dating site, find their accounts first and block them. Most sites allow you to do this. Not the fastest or most convenient way, but quite effective.
- Use a partially modified first and last name. Or keep your first name real and change your last name. This is generally not welcomed by dating services, but the option is still available.
- Come up with a strong password or use a password generator you trust. Never use passwords like “12345” or “qwerty”. They are too easy to guess. If someone gains access to your account, it could have worse results than them seeing your profile on a dating site. If you’re using a simple password, change it now.
- Do not use authorization through social networks. On many dating applications and websites, you can register in one click using your social network account. This is convenient, but keep in mind that this is how you open access to your data, including your list of friends. It is possible that the site will recommend your profile to people from your friend-list in the first place, and you don’t need that.
- To register on a dating site, create a separate email address. The reason is the same — security and confidentiality. It is better not to use your permanent personal (or even more so work) email address. For greater security, you can even use temporary email services. However, in this case, you’ll not receive email notifications that someone wrote to you.
Of course, this will not 100% save you from unwanted encounters, but it will reduce the chances considerably. One more thing — if you’ve already found a soulmate, deactivate or delete your profile on the dating site.
Otherwise, in the future, you end up in an unpleasant conversation, even if you have not used the site for a long time.
Want to avoid unnecessary trouble? Use chat roulette sites!
It’s impossible to say the tips and tricks above cause a huge hardship to execute, and many are common sense anyway. But you can simplify your life much more easily by using video chat roulette sites instead of classic dating sites and apps.
In terms of confidentiality, chat roulettes are a few steps ahead of dating sites. Here, as a rule, you don’t need to register or upload a photo.
Chat roulettes do not try to look for other users who are as close to you as possible, and the number of users in popular chat roulettes, such as Chatroulette, is in the hundreds of thousands. The chances of meeting someone you know here are almost impossible.
And if this happens, you can quickly disconnect before they understand what’s going on. They will not be able to connect to you again — this is how the video chat roulettes work.
Add to this a huge number of roulette chat sites for every taste — CooMeet, OmeTV, Chatroulette and dozens of others. In many ways, they are much safer and more user-friendly than dating sites and apps. And you don’t have to worry that you will suddenly meet your friends, colleagues or relatives here.
They will not be able to find you through search either — there is simply no such function here. Nor are there profiles with photos, name, age, place of residence and other personal information.
In general, confidentiality is of the highest level. And for those who want to protect themselves even more, there’s a text chat function where you can think of any nickname for yourself — no one will ever guess who you are, unless you tell them yourself.
Chat roulette sites offer the best confidentiality
As you understand, there is no method to completely avoid unwanted meetings on dating sites, in applications or even in chat roulettes.
But by acting in a balanced manner and following simple rules, you can reduce risks and only interact with the people you actually want to communicate with.
We hope our article was useful to you and you found some effective tips that you will use in the future. And remember, your security and confidentiality are in your hands only. Be careful, use trusted sites and never share your personal data with anyone. Safety comes first!