This article is a guide on how to activate the Speech Recognition feature in Windows 10. Windows provides both a device-based speech recognition feature and a cloud-based speech recognition service.
This feature can be accessed through the Windows Speech Recognition Desktop application. Both are available in markets and regions where Cortana is available.
What does it do? Windows Speech Recognition lets you control your PC with your own voice, without needing to use a keyboard or mouse. There are special wizards to get you started.
You need to plug in the microphone, and then configure a few settings. Voice recognition is a great addition to Windows 10’s dictation feature.
Steps to Activate the Speech Recognition Feature in Windows 10
To activate the voice recognition feature in Windows 10, do the following:
- Open the classic Control Panel application.
- Go to Control Panel > Ease of AccessSpeech Recognition.
- Click the Start Speech Recognition item.
- Read the welcome page of the wizard and click the Next button.
- Select the type of microphone you are connecting to and click Next.
- On the next page, click Next to tune your microphone.
- Read aloud the sentences provided and click Next.
- Click the Next button on the next page to confirm microphone settings.
- Turn on or off the option “Enable document review” or “Disable document review” according to your preference. You can increase your computer’s ability to recognize spoken words by allowing this powerful feature to review the documents and e-mails in your search index. He will learn words and sentences to better understand you when you speak.
- Select the option “Use manual activation mode” or “Use voice activation mode”. In manual mode, you need to click on the microphone icon or press Ctrl + Win to activate Speech Recognition. In voice activation mode you need to say the voice command “Start Listening”.
- On the next page, you can print a list of supported voice commands after activating the speech recognition feature later.
- On the next page, toggle on or off the “Run Speech Recognition at startup” option if you want.
- On the last page of the wizard you can view the tutorial or skip it.
The voice recognition feature is only available for the following languages: English (United States, United Kingdom, Canada, India, and Australia), French, German, Japanese, Chinese, and Spanish. If your Windows 10 doesn’t use that language please change it.