PlayStation 3 (PS3) is a popular game console and has many interesting game titles, such as The Last of Us, God of War 3, GTA V, and others. However, not everyone has a PS3 console or can afford one. Are you one of them?
How to Play PS3 on a Laptop with RPCS3
If yes, don’t worry, because you can still play PS3 games on your laptop using the RPCS3 emulator.
An emulator is a program that can imitate the functions and systems of another device, such as a game console, on a computer or laptop.
With the RPCS3 emulator, you can run PS3 games on your laptop with fairly good graphic quality and performance.
Of course, to be able to play PS3 games on a laptop with the RPCS3 emulator, you need some preparations and steps that must be followed correctly. The following is a complete guide on how to play PS3 on a laptop with the RPCS3 emulator that you can try.
Laptop Specifications for Installing RPCS3
Before you download and install the RPCS3 emulator, make sure your laptop meets the following minimum requirements:
- 64-bit processor
- VGA compatible with OpenGL 4.3
- 4GB RAM
- Storage depends on the size of the game you want to play
Apart from that, you also need several other supporting files and software, namely:
- RPCS3 emulator which you can download from the official website
- You can download the PS3 firmware from the official Sony website
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x64) which you can download from the official Microsoft website
- PS3 games have .pkg or .iso format which you can search for from various sources on the internet
How to Install RPCS3 Emulator on Laptop
Once you have downloaded all the required files and software, the next step is to install the RPCS3 emulator on your laptop. Here is how to install the RPCS3 emulator on a laptop:
- Extract the RPCS3 emulator file in .zip format into a folder. You can name the folder as you wish, for example “RPCS3”.
- Open the folder and run the rpcs3.exe file. If a Windows Defender or antivirus warning appears, select Allow or Trust to continue.
- In the RPCS3 emulator window, select File > Install Firmware and look for the PS3 firmware file in .pup format that you downloaded previously. Click Open and wait for the firmware installation process to complete.
- After that, select File > Install .pkg and look for the PS3 game file in .pkg format that you downloaded previously. Click Open and wait for the game installation process to complete.
- If the PS3 game file you have is in .iso format, you don’t need to install it, but simply add it to the RPCS3 emulator game list by selecting File > Add Game and looking for the PS3 game file in .iso format. Click Select Folder and the game files will be added to the RPCS3 emulator games list.
How to Play PS3 Games on a Laptop with the RPCS3 Emulator
After you have successfully installed the RPCS3 emulator and the PS3 games you want to play, the final step is to play PS3 games on your laptop with the RPCS3 emulator. Here’s how to play PS3 games on a laptop with the RPCS3 emulator:
- In the RPCS3 emulator window, double-click on the PS3 game title you want to play. If a confirmation window appears, select Yes to continue.
- Wait for the game loading process to complete and enjoy the game.
- If you want to adjust graphics, sound, controller or other settings, you can access the Config > Settings menu in the RPCS3 emulator window. There you can adjust the settings according to your specifications and preferences.
- If you want to save or load your game progress, you can access the File > Save State or Load State menu in the RPCS3 emulator window. There you can choose the available save or load slot.
Tips and Tricks for Playing PS3 Games on a Laptop with the RPCS3 Emulator
Here are some tips and tricks that you can use to play PS3 games on a laptop with the RPCS3 emulator more smoothly and optimally:
- Make sure your laptop has sufficient specifications to run the RPCS3 emulator and the PS3 games you want to play. Otherwise, you may experience lag, stuttering, or crashes while playing.
- Check the compatibility of the PS3 game you want to play with the RPCS3 emulator on the official RPCS3 website. There you can see a list of PS3 games that have been tested and categorized as playable, ingame, intro, loadable, or nothing. Choose PS3 games that have playable or ingame status to get the best playing experience.
- Adjust the RPCS3 emulator settings according to the PS3 game you want to play. Each PS3 game may require different settings to run well on the RPCS3 emulator. You can see recommended settings for each PS3 game on the official RPCS3 website or in various online forums and videos.
- Use a controller compatible with the RPCS3 emulator to play PS3 games on a laptop. You can use a PS3, PS4, Xbox, or other controller that can be connected to your laptop via a USB cable or Bluetooth. If you don’t have one, you can also use a keyboard and mouse as an alternative.
- Enjoy various additional features offered by the RPCS3 emulator, such as custom resolution, custom image, screenshot, trophy, and others. You can access these features via the Config > GPU, Config > System, Utilities > Trophy Manager menu, etc.
The final word
That’s how to play PS3 on a laptop with the RPCS3 emulator that I can share. Hopefully this article is useful and good luck trying.