Run Game via External SSD: In this guide, we tell you how to play your entire game library via SSD using the Samsung T7 Touch SSD. In 2017, we prepared a guide on how to play games via Samsung’s T5 portable SSD.
Guide to Run Game via External SSD
The company released the T7 model this year and this new model, which includes the NVMe controller, brings a breath of fresh air to the USB 3.2 interface in terms of speed. After 3 years, we said that we will prepare a game guide from an updated portable SSD with changing game services.
You may have multiple reasons to run your games from a portable SSD. One of these is not having enough storage space on your computer. Another reason is to carry your games with you while traveling and plug the SSD into the USB port of a foreign PC wherever you go and run your games instantly.
The main reason for us to play games from external SSD is not to deal with installing the games one by one on the computers we collect every month. We can say that the external SSD saves us a lot of time here.
So how do we easily make our games work with services like Steam, Origin, uPlay, Battle.net and Rockstar Games Launcher? Here is a step-by-step look at how to use every game delivery service with a portable SSD.
Steam, the world’s most preferred digital game distribution platform, is also the easiest to run service from portable SSD.
- Enter the Program Files (x86) \ Steam folder inside the SSD.
- Run Steam here.
- Steam will warn you that its services are not installed on the PC on the first run.
- Repair it by saying repair.
- When the repair is finished, you will see the login screen.
- Enter your username and password and your entire library will be in front of you.
Electronic Arts’ platform has evolved significantly since the first day. In the past, it took a lot of effort to introduce a disc game to Origin. Now all you have to do is say “Download”.
- To run Origin from the portable SSD, it is necessary to reinstall the software. To do this, run the Origin installation and select “Program Files (x86)” as the destination folder.
- There is an “OriginThinSetupInternal” file in the folder where Origin is installed. You can do the setup with this.
- Run Origin when the installation is finished.
- Now enter the My Game Library section. When you say Download to the game you want, the software will check the “Program Files (x86) \ Origin Games” folder and if the game has files there, it will start verifying them.
- With the T7 Touch, this process happens much faster. At the end of the process, you will see the “Install” window. Accept the agreement and say Install.
- If all the files of the game are ready, you can start playing now. If it is missing, Origin will start downloading the necessary files.
Ubisoft is one of the companies that we provide direct feedback to improve the uPlay service. Still, there are still points that need improvement. For example, it would be better to detect installed games. Fortunately, in this software, you can select the folder where the games are installed and start playing if all the files are ready.
- You can run uPlay directly from the external SSD, but it may require a one-time reinstallation for the games to be properly verified.
- If you already get the installed alert, you can delete all folders except the “games” folder.
- After setup, enter your account information and come to the uPlay main screen.
- Just click on the game you want and say “Locate installed game”.
- uPlay will scan the game’s files at this stage and download any missing files or updates.
- At the end of the process, you are ready to play.
This platform, where Blizzard and Activision games are distributed, can also be easily operated from an external SSD.
- Perform a one-time installation to update the Registry entries.
- On the first run, the software will detect installed games.
- You are ready to play.
Rockstar Games Launcher
It was necessary to wait 2019 for Rockstar to end the Social Club suffering. The company, which finally released its own game distribution and sales platform, waited for Red Dead Redemption 2 for this.
- You can also run RSGL directly from SSD. He will make the necessary installations himself.
- The software may not first detect games on drives other than C: \. Just go to Settings and say “Scan Now”.
- The games will be detected and updated if necessary.
- Then you are ready to play.
If you are constantly changing PCs, you can also back up the “Documents \ Rockstar Games” folder to avoid logging in every time.
With a modern and fast portable SSD such as the Samsung T7 Touch, it is very easy to play your games directly on the SSD without lag, snagging and speed problems.
You can keep your games on SSD by following the steps we have described in this guide, so you can carry them with you and run them comfortably on any computer.