Sustainability is a pressing task for organizational leaders. Climate change and its impact on society require the search and adoption of sustainable business practices that guarantee a reduction in energy consumption, lower emissions of polluting gases and greater use of renewable energy.
Sustainable cloud: the green future of technology
Although the business challenge is enormous, the use of sustainable technologies is generating encouraging results in environmental terms, but also in business operational efficiency.
An Accenture study called The Green Behind the cloud, showed that “the use of sustainable technologies such as the cloud reduce CO2 emissions by up to 59 million tons annually, the equivalent of eliminating almost 22 million cars in circulation.”
Sustainable technology refers to those digital solutions that optimize business activity without compromising the ecological balance or natural ecosystems. That is, tools that facilitate more profitable, efficient and committed business models with high-quality standards.
“Sustainable technology is increasingly important in operational terms, for example for cost optimization, energy performance and asset utilization, but it also drives results on ESG issues, such as improved well-being and the traceability necessary to ensure responsible business practices.”
Autumn Stanish, Gartner expert
Currently, cloud systems, artificial intelligence tools, business intelligence solutions, advanced network management software and resources for measuring carbon footprints are the technologies that contribute the most to curbing environmental impact generated by economic activity.
In fact, according to Gartner estimates, the cloud will be one of the most adopted emerging sustainability technologies within the business ecosystem in 2025.
“Cloud services offer great potential for sustainability with their ability to centralize IT operations and operate at scale using a shared service model, resulting in greater computing efficiency.”
Benefits of using cloud as a sustainable technology
For business leaders, the use of the cloud is key to achieving a business model that allows reducing operating costs, increasing productivity, contributing to the preservation of the environment, promoting innovation and improving the trust that people place in an organization.
“By 2025, 85% of organizations will increase sustainable efficiency by 35% by using cloud-based software and infrastructure.”
International Data Corporation (IDC)
According to data from Oracle, migration and use of the cloud canreduce carbon emissionsinto the environment by 84% and thus reduce the environmental impact. The contribution of the cloud in the area of sustainability includes:
- The incorporation of technologies to measure the carbon footprint.The use of software, IoT-enabled environmental sensors and other cloud resources allow measuring and reporting greenhouse gas emissions and traceability of the carbon footprint generated in business activity.
- The use of artificial intelligence and data analytics.With the automation of tasks and the digitalization of machines, the use of equipment and resources can be optimized to achieve greater operational efficiency.
- Scalable storage.Storing data in a scalable and configurable way in the cloud allows you to consume exactly what you need, without wasting resources.
- The adoption of innovation quickly and simply.The cloud facilitates and simplifies the adoption of different types of sustainable technologies that add value to the business and keep pace with technological advances.
- Visibility and reduction of expenses. Unlike an on-premises infrastructure, cloud investment is distributed over the long term and responds to the demand for required services. This allows us to control the budget and respect the investment destined for areas of innovation and sustainable development.
- Flexibility for remote work.With information in the cloud, collaborators can work from anywhere in the world safely and efficiently, reducing carbon emissions generated by the use of cars or other types of transportation.
Ikusi and its commitment to sustainability
Technology is the greatest ally of organizations to create and apply solutions that meet sustainability objectives.
In the coming years, it is expected that business sustainability initiatives will be decisive in evaluating the competition, performance and profitability of an organization in the market.
With the aim of promoting sustainable transformation, Ikusi works hand in hand with technology manufacturers that have specific strategies to reduce the carbon footprint.
This makes it possible for each Ikusi technological solution to incorporate the circular economy throughout the manufacturing process and guarantee lower levels of energy consumption.
Through its Trusted Advisor services, Ikusi provides support and guidance to its clients and partners to achieve their sustainability objectives. In this sense, it deploys advice and recommendations to optimize the use of technological resources and transparently measure progress in this area.