An eSportsman is a professional computer game player. The interest in the industry developed by millennials makes it possible to speak of esports as a serious discipline and even as a profession. You can also get good emotions from game-boss.com, this news portal provides the most up-to-date information about esports tournaments.
Who Is An eSportsman And What Does He Do?
For most people, the concept of “sport” is associated with activity and physical activity, but in eSports, everything is different. Most of the time players spend at the computer.
At the same time, unlike the virtual nature of the environment in which athletes hone their skills, the funds received from participation in competitions and tournaments are quite real.
Simulators and computer games bring together quite young athletes aged 14 to 29 years. Both schoolchildren and mature adults with medium and high salaries can take part in cyber community competitions. At the same time, age does not affect performance in tournaments.
Among the main skills that an esportsman needs to have:
- fast reaction;
- the ability to make decisions quickly;
- analytical thinking;
- the ability to focus and abstract;
- ability to tactical and strategic thinking;
- despite the rather inactive nature of the sport, good physical shape to play a tense game for a long time;
- good vision;
- developed fine motor skills of the hands;
- knowledge of English;
- in team competitions – communication skills.
All these criteria will allow you to take a competitive position in the ranking of cyber sportsmen.
What does an eSportsman do?
Competitions in the virtual world among cybersportsmen are held in two formats:
- Online tournaments, where you can take part from anywhere in the world where you have access to the Internet.
- Offline tournaments, or, as they are called, LAN tournaments (local-area network) involve the personal presence of a gamer in a club or, for example, in large stadiums, arenas, as is the case in South Korea, Los Angeles, Texas.
Main game types
The choice is also influenced by the player’s personal preferences for video game genres in general. For example, a player who has been addicted to strategy all his life is unlikely to be able to show high results in fighting games, since he has a completely different set of skills.
There are a lot of genres and subgenres of video games, but the main ones are as follows:
- Strategies – simulation games based on the player’s strategic planning of his actions to achieve the goal (most often, the destruction of the enemy). The top strategy games include Starcraft, Warcraft, Heroes of Might and Magic.
- Sports simulators. The most popular in this category are football, hockey, boxing, and MMA. Among the games are FIFA, NHL, NBA, UFC.
- Role-playing games, or RPGs (Role-Playing Game) belong to a category in which the story aspect is important, and the player controls one or more characters, interacting with elements encountered along the way. All actions of the gamer affect the history of the world in which events unfold. Popular representatives of this genre are League of Legends and Dota 2.
- Technical simulators convey the process of driving a vehicle in a virtual world with absolute accuracy. It can be a car, plane, train and other equipment. This category includes World of Tanks, Forza Motorsport, Rotor Rush.