Fix Chrome has Stopped Working: If you’re having trouble opening Chrome, or nothing happens when you click the Chrome icon to launch it, this issue may be due to corrupted or incompatible plugins.
In short, Google Chrome won’t open and the only thing you’ll see will be chrome.exe in the Task Manager process, but the Chrome window will never appear. So, without wasting any time, let’s see how to fix Chrome won’t open or start issue with the troubleshooting guide below.
How to Fix Chrome has Stopped Working?
Make sure to create a restore point in case something goes wrong.
Method 1: Try restarting your PC and then Chrome
The first and easiest solution would be to try restarting the PC, then make sure there are no running chrome instances, and then try to open the chrome again.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager to check if Chrome is already running
- Now Find Chrome.exe and right-click on it, then select End Task.
- Once you’ve made sure the shutdown isn’t running now, open Google Chrome again and see if you can fix the problem.
Method 2: Temporarily disable antivirus and firewall
1. Right-click the Antivirus Program icon in the system tray and select Disable.
2. Next, select how long the Antivirus will be disabled.
Note: Choose the shortest amount of time possible, for example 15 or 30 minutes.
3. Once done, try to open Chrome again and check if the error is resolved or not.
4. Press Windows key + I and select Control Panel.
5. Then click System and Security.
6. Then click on Windows Firewall.
7. Now, from the left pane of the window, click Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
8. Now select Turn off Windows Firewall and Reboot your computer. Again, try opening Chrome and see if you can fix the issue of Chrome not opening or running.
If the above method doesn’t work, make sure to follow the exact same steps to turn the Firewall back on.
Method 3: Try updating Google Chrome
1. To update Google Chrome, click Three dots in the upper right corner of Chrome, select Help, and then click About Google Chrome.
2. Now make sure Google Chrome is up to date, if not, you will see an update button, click on it.
This will update Google Chrome to its latest version, which may help you troubleshoot Chrome not opening or running.
Method 4: Use the Chrome Cleaning Tool
The official Google Chrome cleanup tool helps scan and remove software that may be causing the chrome problem, for example, crashes, unusual home pages or toolbars, unexpected ads that you can’t get rid of, or changes to the browsing experience.
Method 5: Run the Chrome Canary
Download Chrome Canary and see if you can launch Chrome properly.
Method 6: Hard Reset Chrome
Note: Make sure Chrome is completely closed if it doesn’t finish its process from the Task Manager.
1. Press Windows Key + R and type the following and hit Enter:
Google Chrome local user data (tixag).
2. Now go back to the default folder to another location and then delete this folder.
3. This would erase all chrome user data, bookmarks, history, cookies and cache.
4. Open Google Chrome and click on the three dots in the upper right corner and on Settings.
5. Now open settings window, scroll down and click on Advanced at the bottom.
6. Scroll down again and click on the “Restart” column.
7. This would open a pop-up window again asking if you want to Reset, so click Reset to continue.
Method 7: Reinstall Google Chrome
Well, if you’ve tried everything and still haven’t been able to fix the error, then you need to reinstall Chrome again. But first, make sure to completely uninstall Google Chrome from your system and then download it again from here. Also, make sure to delete the user data folder and then reinstall it from the old source.
Thus, you can fix Chrome has Stopped Working. If you have any issue, comment us in the comment box.