View FPS on the PC Screen: FPS is an acronym that stands for frames per second, and indicates the number of images reproduced in a second, this set of images will then form a video or an animation.
When it comes to video games, the number of FPS is essential to enjoy the experience to the fullest and to have the right performance in the case of multiplayer or competitive games.
How to view FPS on the PC Screen While Playing
Let’s see how to display the counter directly on the screen while we play.
The minimum number that you should reach to be able to play smoothly is at least 30FPS, the experience then improves with the increase of this number (it also depends on the Hertz of your monitor, in some cases if the FPS are too high you may have visual artifacts or graphic glitches.).
Steam provides its in-game FPS counter in the settings, to enable it follow these steps:
- Click on Steam in the upper left corner
- Then on Settings, a new window will open
- Here from the left menu click on “In game”
- Enable the “FPS in-game counter” option
If you are an Apex Legends or Fifa player, you certainly know Origin, this launcher also allows you to activate an in-game FPS counter. Let’s see how to activate them:
- Click on the top left on Origin
- From the dropdown menu select “application settings”
- Move on the horizontal menu and click “Origin in game”
- Activate the FPS counter in the last option by choosing the side on which to view them
If you have Nvidia video card you have most likely installed Nvidia GeForce Experience, through the options of this program we can activate a HUD with the display of FPS in games.
To activate it follow these steps:
- Click on the “settings” wheel symbol at the top right
- Now scroll down and activate “Overlap in play”
- Now it will appear under this option the word “Settings”, click on it
- In the page that opens click on “Layout HUD”
- Now go to “FPS counter” and on the right choose where to view them, then confirm by clicking “Done”
If you don’t have any of the programs above or want to see the number of FPS on an independent game you can use FRAPS.
It is a free program that allows you to view the FPS counter on any game, let’s see how to install it.
Go to the official Fraps website , download and install the program.
Some games through the settings allow you to activate your own FPS counter, such as Fortnite by activating the “Show FPS” option.
In other cases in the game launcher you will find the option under the graphic or general settings.
Finally in the most extreme cases you can activate the counter by acting on the end of .ini settings that you find in the game folder.