The smart speakers Nest Audio and Nest Mini (previously also called Google Home and Google Home Mini) have conquered many users thanks to the simplicity and precision with which the Assistant offered by Google answers all our questions and the great flexibility it offers for the control of home automation devices.
Google speakers also offer excellent sound performance, which we can use to listen to relaxing music or in the background when we write, when we do housework or when we organize a wild party.
But what music streaming service to use to listen to music from Google smart speakers? In this guide, we will try to answer this interesting question by showing you how to listen free music with Google Assistant, without having to pay a monthly subscription.
How to Listen Free Music with Google Assistant and Nest
To listen to streaming music with voice commands, we will first have to connect the Nest Mini or Nest Audio offered by Google to our Wi-Fi network, then configure the streaming services that will be used from the Google Home application, available free for Android and for iPhone / iPad.
If we have not yet connected the Google speaker to our network, we recommend that you read the guideWhat Google Home (Nest) can do: voice assistant, music and home automation.
Set YouTube Music to listen free music
By default, the Google Assistant and supported speakers will use YouTube Music to deliver free music – in fact, all YouTube music at our complete disposal, with the addition of ads (which will appear randomly during playback).
- To make sure you have activated YouTube Music as a music streaming service, open the appGoogle Home
- On our smartphone or tablet, we register with the same Google account that we use to configure the speakers
- We press the icon of our account in the upper right.
- We press Wizard Settingslet’s go to the cardServicesand finally pressMusic.
- On the screen that opens, make sure there is a checkmark next to the item Youtube music;
- If it is not selected, press your voice to activate it immediately.
To start a song, a playlist or an album we will have to sayHey Googlenear the speaker followed by the name of the song, artist or playlist to be played.
Set up Spotify to listen free music
With Google Assistant we can also use the service offered by Spotify to listen to free music from Nest speakers; It is not necessary to have an active subscription to Spotify Premium, as Google Home also supports the Free Spotify Service(with ad insertion and limits on the number of songs that can be changed).
- To activate Spotify in Google Assistant we will not even have to download the dedicated application.
- We will simply open the Google Home application on our phone, open the menu at the top right (account icon) and it takes us back to the route.
- Wizard Settings -> Services -> Music.
- On the screen we press on the elementSpotify, we press the voiceColleague account.
- A window will open asking if we want to create a new Spotify account based on the Google account or log in with an existing Spotify account; in the latter case a new login window will open from which we can enter the username and password of the Spotify account or use one of the hotkeys at the top.
- If we already have the Spotify application installed on our smartphone, after pressing Colleague account The Spotify application will open directly and we can use the already associated account to enable the service also in the Google Assistant.
- In both cases, the Spotify service will be added to those selectable on the screenMusic: to use it all we have to do is place the check mark next to the Spotify item (in the sectionYour music services).
To start playing music just sayHey Googlenext to the speaker followed by the name of the song, artist, playlist or genre to be played.
How to play radio station
In addition to the most popular streaming services, you can use the Google Nest speaker to listen to your own favorite radio station, using the service offered by TuneIn (integrated as a smart service for the Google Assistant).
In this case we will not have to install any app or associate any type of service: to listen to the streaming radio we will have to sayHey Googlefollowed byPut Radio 105 on Tunein; obviously we can play any Italian radio available on TuneIn simply by changing the name of the voice command seen a while ago.
To know all the radios that are transmitted through TuneIn, read the information contained in the official website of the Italian radio TuneIn.
If we especially love listening to music transmitted by radio, we invite you to also read our guides How to listen free online radio on PCs and websites mi The best applications to listen to FM radio and stream music on Android and iPhone.
Using the streaming services YouTube Music, Spotify Free and TuneIn Radio we will have enough freedom of choice tolisten to music for free without spending a single euro in digital subscriptions and avoiding reliance on music piracy (completely useless in this case).
Obviously, the aforementioned services offer streaming music for free with the addition of some limitations, such as the appearance of advertisements and limits on the number of songs that we can omit; If these limits seem too restrictive and we want to have total freedom of listening.