Potions in Minecraft have played a very important role since they were incorporated in version 1.0 of this game. Its main utility is in battle, either to quickly recover life or destroy a creature that is very difficult to defeat.
Potions in Minecraft | How They Are Made | Best Recipes
They are also important in mining and exploration. It can even save the lives of players in extremely dangerous situations, such as the one that provides immunity to lava.
Therefore, this text presents a brief guide to creating potions in Minecraft. This includes a graphical step-by-step guide to the potion-making process ( adding the ability to make potions ) and a list of the best recipes in the game.
This contains a brief and concise explanation of how each potion works, along with the ingredients necessary to prepare, enhance or even reverse it.
What is needed to do them
To obtain any potion in Minecraft you must gather certain basic elements. Here is a list of each of them (along with information on how to obtain them):
- Alembic: This is crafted on the crafting table with a blaze rod and three carved stone blocks. The first is an item that is obtained by killing blazes and stone blocks are obtained by mining with a pickaxe.
- Glass jar of water, which is created with three glass blocks on the crafting table (the blocks are obtained from the refined sand in the furnace). Finally, to fill the glass jar with water you simply have to right click on the water while holding the jar.
- Rare Potion: This is obtained in the alembic by adding nether wart to the water inside the glass vial. This is an item found above the Soul Arena in the Nether and is the basis for virtually all other potions. The rest of the ingredients will depend on the recipe that is carried out.
How to make a potion for throwing
The basic process to make potions in Minecraft is the same, but depending on the ingredients with which they are composed, they will have different uses. Next, the steps necessary to make potions and additionally how to make them thrown will be shown :
- Place 1 to 3 glass jars of water in the alchemical alembic.
- Add a nether wart, as this is usually the main ingredient in potions.
- Add a third ingredient (this is optional and varies depending on the recipe for the potion you want to make).
- Boost the effects of the potion with any of the following ingredients:
- Luminous stone powder (makes it stronger).
- Redstone powder (makes it last longer).
- Fermented Spider Eye (used to reverse the original effect).
- Add gunpowder and once the ingredient takes effect you will get a throwing potion.
Alchemy: the best recipes and ingredients
There are a wide variety of potions with different effects that help players on their adventure through the world of Minecraft. Below are all the recipes for the potions that can be created in the Alchemical Alembic.
Fire resistance or Flame retardant
Grants immunity to all heat damage such as fire or lava burns, among others. It is very useful to be able to spend more time in the underworld.
There is basic fire resistance and extended flame retardant, these have an effect that lasts between 3 and 8 minutes depending on which one is used. To make this potion, you will need a ” Magma Ball ” that is obtained by killing magma cubes in the Nether.
- Flame Retardant : Rare Potion + Magma Ball.
- Extended Flame Retardant : Rare Potion + Magma Ball + Redstone.
Water breathing or apnea
The Elixir of Apnea allows the oxygen bar to not decrease, in addition to providing a slight increase in visibility under the water. It lasts 3 minutes in its basic version, while in the extended version it lasts 8 minutes. To make these potions you must follow the recipes below:
- Apnea: Rare Potion + Puffer Fish.
- Extended Apnea : Rare Potion + Puffer Fish + Redstone.
Speed or speed
There are 3 different potions to increase movement speed called Speed, Quickness and Quickness II, the duration and effect varies in each of them. The ingredients needed for these concoctions are as follows:
- Speed : Rare Potion + Sugar. Effect : Grants + 20% speed increase, duration 3 minutes.
- Speed : Rare Potion + Sugar + Redstone. Effect : Provides + 20% speed increase, the effect lasts 8 minutes.
- Quickness II: Rare Potion + Sugar + Glowstone Powder. Effect: Increases movement speed by + 40% for 1 minute 30 seconds.
It is used to recover health points instantly and you can make a basic version and an improved version. To make it you need a shiny watermelon, which is made with 8 gold nuggets, combined with a slice of watermelon.
- Healing: Rare Potion + Shimmering Watermelon. Effect: Recover 2 hearts.
- Healing II: Rare Potion + Shimmering Watermelon + Glowstone Dust. Effect: Recover 4 hearts.
It causes a slow effect that reduces movement speed by up to 15% (+15 points depending on the player’s level), it is usable against creatures or other players.
The duration varies between the simple potion or the long duration, although making it throwable can reduce it. The recipe uses a fermented spider eye, which is obtained by combining sugar with a mushroom and the spider eye. The ingredients are mixed as follows:
- Slowness: Potion of Speed + Fermented Spider Eye + Gunpowder. Duration: 1 minute 30 seconds.
- Extended Slowness: Potion of Quickness + Fermented Spider Eye + Redstone + Gunpowder. Duration: 4 minutes.
This brew in its basic version deals damage for 45 seconds, removing a maximum of 18 hearts, but with 1 health point remaining it will not decay any more.
However, the duration and maximum damage can be increased with other ingredients. The recipes with the corresponding effects are as follows:
- Poison : Rare potion + a spider’s eye + Gunpowder. Effect : -18 hearts for 45 seconds.
- Extended Poison : Rare Potion + Spider Eye + Redstone + Gunpowder. Effect : -36 hearts for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Poison II : Rare Potion + Spider Eye + Glowstone Dust + Gunpowder. Effect: -19 hearts for 21 seconds.
The Regeneration Potion heals the player for a specific amount of time, but the duration and effect vary depending on the ingredients used. Tears of Ghast are required for its manufacture, which can be obtained by killing a Ghast in the Nether. The complete recipe is as follows:
- Regeneration : Rare Potion + 1 Ghast Tear. Effect: Recover up to 9 hearts in 2.5 seconds.
- Extended Regeneration : Rare Potion + Tear of Ghast + Redstone. Effect: Regenerate 18 hearts in a time of 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Regeneration II : Rare Potion + Tear of Ghast + Glowstone Dust. Effect: Heals 9 hearts in 1.25 seconds.
Allows players to increase lighting in dark areas (at night and underwater), as well as increase the brightness of lava.
For the recipe you need a Golden Carrot, which is obtained by combining 1 carrot with 8 gold nuggets. Specifically, the recipes are:
- Night Vision: Rare Potion + Golden Carrot. Duration : 3 minutes.
- Extended Night Vision: Rare Potion + Golden Carrot + Redstone. Duration: 8 minutes.
Increases the level of physical damage that can be dealt on enemies. Here are the recipes and effects of its different versions:
- Strength: Rare Potion + Blaze Powder. Effects: Increased damage by 130% at each level (1 and a half hearts) for 3 minutes.
- Extra Strength : Rare Potion + Blaze Powder + Redstone. Effect: 130% damage increase at each level (1 and a half hearts) for 8 minutes.
- Strength II: Rare Potion + Blaze Powder + Glowstone Powder. Effect: Increased damage by 260% (3 hearts) plus 130% (1 and a half hearts) for each level.
Confers the effect of rendering the player’s avatar invisible, causing enemies to take a neutral stance towards the character as long as the character is not wearing armor. The thrown version allows you to make other players and creatures invisible. The corresponding recipes are:
- Invisibility: Potion of Night Vision + Fermented Spider Eye. Duration : 3 minutes.
- Extended Invisibility: Potion of Night Vision + Fermented Spider Eye + Redstone. Duration: 8 minutes.
Note: The effect does not apply to Flame Carpets, Hand Items, Spiked Arrows, Mounts, Enderman or Spiders Eyes, and the Shulker’s Head.
Applies the state of weakness to the target, reducing the damage it deals when making physical attacks by 4 points (2 hearts). To make this potion you need the following:
- Weakness: Potion of Strength + Fermented Spider Eye + Gunpowder. Duration: 1 minute 30 seconds.
- Extended Weakness: Potion of Strength + Fermented Spider Eye + Redstone + Gunpowder. Duration: 4 minutes.
It is used to cause immediate damage to the attacked target, although the amplitude of the effect will depend on the version of potion used. The recipes for the preparation of these potions are:
- Damage: Healing Potion + Fermented Spider Eye + Gunpowder. Effect: Minus 3 health points (1 and a half hearts).
- Damage II: Healing Potion + Fermented Spider Eye + Glowstone Dust + Gunpowder. Effect: loss of 6 life points (3 hearts) and increases twice for each level.
Grants the ability to jump higher, up to 2 or even 4 blocks high depending on the version of the recipe and reduces fall damage. To create this concoction you need the following:
- ump: Rare Potion + Rabbit’s Foot. Effect: Jump 2 blocks high, fall damage reduction for 3 minutes.
- Extended Jump: Rare Potion + Rabbit’s Foot + Redstone. Effect: The same as the basic potion, for 8 minutes.
- Leap II: Rare Potion + Rabbit’s Foot + Glowstone Dust. Effect: Jump 4 blocks high and greater reduction in falling damage, lasting 1 minute 30 seconds.
The character descends more slowly and takes no fall damage when hitting the ground. In addition, it prevents crops from breaking when jumping on them. It is also used to plan over cracks or holes of maximum 6 blocks. To do this mix, you need the following:
- Slow Fall : Rare Potion + Ghost Membrane. Duration : 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Extended Slow Fall : Rare Potion + Ghost Membrane + Redstone. Duration : 4 minutes.
An elixir that provides an increase in stamina in exchange for a negative effect on speed . To do this, you will need a turtle shell that is created on a crafting table with turtle scales. Here are the recipes with the corresponding effect and duration:
- Turtle Master : Rare Potion + Turtle Shell. Effect : 60% Stamina increase for 20 seconds.
- Extended Turtle Master : Rare Potion + Turtle Shell + Redstone. Effect : The basic effect with a duration of 40 seconds.
- Turtle Master II : Rare Potion + Turtle Shell + Glowstone Dust. Effect : Impairs movement speed by 90%, but gives 80% resistance, lasting 20 seconds.
The potion with the name “ Luck ” is found in the PC and console versions, in which it provides an increase of the Luck attribute for 5 minutes.
The Luck Brew does not yet have a recipe, so it cannot be made and will have to be obtained from the console, creative mode, or in the world of Minecraft. This is combined with gunpowder to create the splash of luck.
There is a wide variety of potions in Minecraft, with different effects that can be enhanced with special ingredients. Knowing these recipes will be very useful to improve the experience and increase the fun.