Despite being both types of mobile devices that are widely used by today’s users, the iPhone and Android phones have very different ecosystems of support.
Both of them do have features that are almost the same, it’s just that in terms of the interface, appearance, and operations in them are far enough away that sometimes it raises a lot of questions among users.
Through the operating system called iOS, the iPhone has somewhat different support in managing stored data files compared to Android cellphones in general.
Therefore, people need to take extra steps when they want to change their cellphone as well as the platform. Moreover, basically, the iPhone and Android do not have data transfer support that is able to connect them directly.
If transferring data between iPhones or Androids is an easy thing to do when changing phones, it will turn out a little different when the user needs to do it to another platform.
Fortunately, many tech companies are aware of this. Including Google and Apple, which incidentally are the giants behind the development of systems for these two types of mobile devices.
If you want to switch from one platform to another, there are many methods you can use to successfully transfer data. As for some of them, including how to transfer data from iPhone to Android below.
How to Transfer Data from iPhone to Android
Using Google Drive
- Download the Google Drive app from theApple App Store
- Run the application if it has been installed successfully
- Create an account or log in with your Google account
- From the main page, click on theMenuin the top left corner
- Select theSettingsmenu
- Go to theBackupsection
- Tap theBackupbutton
- Wait for the process to finish (don’t close the application)
- When done, open the Google Drive app on Android
- Login with the same account as on the iPhone application
- Also download the Google Contacts, Google Photos, and Google Calendar apps if you need them
Google Drive is one solution that cannot be missed if you are going to switch to an Android device. The reason is, this service will be one of the important supports that will often be used in Google’s ecosystem.
Unfortunately, the transfer process using Google Drive can take a very long time depending on the amount of data the user has. Even so, you have to wait for it to finish (don’t close it or turn off the internet network) for it to work.
In addition, for those of you who specifically don’t just want to transfer data but move it to fully switch to Android, previously you need to turn off FaceTime and iMessage services so you don’t miss important calls and messages.
How to turn off FaceTime and iMessage
- OpenSettingson iPhone
- Go to theMessagessection then turn off theiMessageoption
- Return to the mainSettingspage
- Find and select theFaceTimemenu
- Change theFaceTimebutton to the off state
Turning off iMessage and FaceTime is very important for users who want to actually switch to Android phones. If you don’t do this, all messages and phone calls will still be stuck to the iPhone even after moving the SIM card.
As additional information, iMessage and FaceTime themselves are very different from traditional telephone and messaging services. Apple in managing it uses internet services so that the feature will still work if it is not turned off which makes all messages and phone calls to user numbers still going through.
Transfer using its unique Google Drive supports a wide variety of data, including contacts, photos, and calendars. If it’s not included, you can also use the Upload feature in the application as a solution.
How to Manually Upload Data Files on Google Drive iPhone
- Open the Google Drive application with the account you have
- Click thePlusbutton at the bottom
- Then tap theBrowsemenu then find and select all the files you want
- Tap theUploadbutton
Using Google Drive to move data from iPhone to Android will be very helpful. Unfortunately, users need an internet connection and the transfer process doesn’t happen directly from device to device.
Users can use cross-platform data transfer services from third parties such as Send Anywhere as a more attractive solution. Which in general, you only need to install the application and connect the two devices in one network.
Using Send Anywhere
- Install the Send Anywhere application on both cellphones
- When finished, open the Send Anywhere application on the iPhone
- Select all data you want to transfer (can select one or many data at once)
- Touch theSendbutton to start sending data
- Take note of the special code that comes after it
- Open the Send Anywhere application on your Android phone
- If the application requests access to a number of sections, grant that access
- Touch theReceivebutton at the bottom of the application
- Enter the code that was successfully copied from the Send Anywhere app on your iPhone
- Touch theReceivebutton
- The data will automatically be transferred from the iPhone to the destination Android phone
This is the easiest way to transfer data between iPhone and Android. Users only need to install the Send Anywhere application on both cellphones via theGoogle Play StoreandApple Apps Storeaccording to the device.
Interestingly enough, data transfer will be carried out without going through the internet if both cellphones are on one WiFi network. However, if the network is different, the process will occur via the internet.
This makes them quite suitable if the user wants to send a lot of data at once. Moreover, data is divided into four categories for easy searching namely Photos, Videos, Contacts, and Files.
Especially for the type of photo data from the iPhone camera, there is a possibility that the data format is HEIC which is somewhat more difficult to open on other devices than the standard format.
It’s good for photo type data, users use the Send Anywhere option via the Photos application on the iPhone so that the format is automatically changed to JPEG first.
Using Send Anywhere Through Photos
- Open thePhotosapp on the iPhone
- Find and mark all photos that you want to send
- After that, tap on theSharebutton
- Select theSend Anywheremenu
Apart from being able to be used to transmit data from iPhone to Android, this service interestingly also supports many other platforms including Amazon Kindle, Microsoft Windows family, MacOS, to Linux.
If the data you want to transfer is very large and requires fast data transfer, you can use a laptop or computer. However, the steps required in this method are a bit longer.
Using a Windows based computer
- Install the iTunes app from theMicrosoft Store
- Open the application if it has been installed successfully
- Log in or create an Apple ID account if you need it
- Connect the iPhone to the computer using a USB cable
- Wait until the device is actually connected
- Select the connectediPhonefrom the list on the left
- Tap theFile Sharingoption
- Tap the respective application from the list that appears in theAppssection
- Select all the data you want to move in the column on the right
- Click theSavebutton
- Find a storage location that is easy to find
- Confirm with theSavebutton once again
- Wait for the transfer process to complete
- After that, connect the Android phone to the computer with the appropriate cable
- Openthe notification panelby dragging the bar at the top to the bottom
- Tapthe USB mode notification(usually still Charging this device via USB)
- Then change the connection tofile transfer modeif needed
- Open the folder where the data copy from your iPhone is stored
- Select all of the files that you want to send to Android
- Right clickthen selectCopyorCut
- Open the Android phone folder
- Find a folder in which to save the copy of the data file
- Right Clickthen selectPaste
Data transfer speeds using a USB cable will usually be faster than wirelessly. It’s just that, it cannot be denied that this also depends on the type of USB and the quality of the cable used.
In this method, you specifically don’t only need a computer. As explained above, the transfer process in it also requires an iPhone (lightning) and Android data cable (according to the type supported).
If you use cellphones from a number of popular brands, transferring data from iPhone to Android can usually be done easily through special features provided by the company.
In general, you usually just need to install the same app on your iPhone and then set the device as sender. Then on Android phones, you can activatethe transfer mode from the iPhone.
The steps for using each feature of the company above in more detail, of course, will vary. Therefore, don’t hesitate to ask questions in the comments column if you encounter difficulties.