Make Video Calls with Jitsi Meet: Do you want to make video calls without using conventional platforms? Try Jitsi Meet, a free, open-source and easy-to-use alternative to organize your first videoconference from a web browser or a smartphone.
How to Make Video Calls with Jitsi Meet
In the current period, between telework, schooling, and contact with loved ones, video conferencing has become mainstream. From Zoom to Skype via WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, or Google Duo, the choice is vast between all applications.
But if you are looking for an alternative solution, independent of GAFAM, free and open-source, why not try Jitsi Meet? Available via a web browser on a computer but also as a mobile application on Android or iOS, this service is really easy to use for making video calls. It only takes a few seconds to set up your video conference room and invite your contacts, without even having to create an account.
Install and use Jitsi Meet on computer
- With your web browser (Jitsi Meet is optimized for Chrome), go to the official site of Jitsi Meet.
- In the Start a new meeting input bar, enter the name you want to give to your video conference room, then click Go.
- Allow Jitsi Meet to use your computer’s microphone and camera.
There you go, there is no need to create an account or install the software: you are ready to launch your first video call on Jitsi Meet.
- Click the i icon at the bottom right of your screen to open the Jitsi Meet Share menu.
- Then click on Add password and choose a password in the Password field.
- In this Share menu, copy and paste the Link link and send it by email or courier to the people you want to invite to the conversation (they will need the password to connect).
- Access the Jitsi Meet options menu by clicking on the three vertical dots at the bottom right of your screen.
- Click on Settings to change the interface language to French.
- Click on Manage video quality to reduce the video quality if you have limited bandwidth.
- Click on Start recording to record your video call or on Start live stream to broadcast your video live.
Install and use Jitsi Meet on your smartphone
- If you have an Android phone, download Jitsi Meet from the Play Store
- If you have an iPhone, download Jitsi Meet from the App Store.
- Install the app, then open it.
- Allow Jitsi Meet to use your microphone and camera, and to record audio and video files.
- If you want to join an already created video conversation, enter its name in the Enter room name field.
- To create your own video conference room, type a name in the same field.
- Then click on the Create / Join button.
- Once in the room, your videoconference begins.
- Invite your contacts to join by clicking on the Invite others button and then sending them the videoconference link by email or messenger.
- To access the Jitsi Meet options menu, click on the three vertical dots at the bottom right of your screen.
- If you are participating in a videoconference, click on Raise your hand to ask the organizer to speak.
- Click Activate reduced bandwidth mode if your Wi-Fi connection is a bit slow or unstable.
- Click on More options to access the other features.
Among the advanced features offered, you can for example:
- Access the mosaic mode to view all the participants of your videoconference.
- Start recording to save your video conversation.
- Start live streaming to broadcast your video to the public.
- And most importantly, don’t forget to click Add Meeting Password to secure access to your video meeting room.
Thus, you can make the video calls with Jitsi Meet. If you have any questions, please comment in the comment box.